Couch Paigato

Paige + Potato = Puh-jay-toe

6.24.2010

Thursday, 6/24

Bluebeard
Better Off Ted

Bluebeard is a beautiful story by French director Catherine Breillat. In the 1950s, two girls read the story of two sisters who lived a long time ago and how their fates entangled with that of the monstrous Bluebeard. Bluebeard likes his wives young and mysteriously disappeared early in the marriage. The younger of the two sisters, Marie-Catherine, in the 17th century, marries Bluebeard and prances about the castle in a carefree way only a girl who has always wanted to be rich and have jewels while being incredibly unconcerned of the fates of those before her can. Equally entertaining are the two more contemporary sisters. One reads aloud the tale while the other squirms, uncomfortable with the story. The film is visually mesmerizing, and the only thing more surprising than Marie-Catherine's fate is that of the young girls in the 1950s - it's a jolt so sudden, so blink and you'll miss it, that it reminds me that this is the director of Romance X, Fat Girl and other radically feminist films that have been turning heads for over 30 years.

I had seen the pilot for Better Off Ted, enjoyed it, seen an Arrested Development alum and figured I better not get too attached because it would be canceled ASAP. But, through Netflix Instant, I took in a couple of episodes. I'm already tired of Linda and Ted, but I love the lab team of Lem and Phil. I'll keep it in mind for taking in with my morning waffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment